I want to preface this post by saying I know using Character Points as a metric for anything is quite meta. It can produce weird results and at times just be a plain bad metric for things, but for this specific case, I have not had many issues with it. Now, let me explain how I run resurrection in my games.
To start, players can get resurrected as many times as they want. Whatever, it is your gp, who am I to tell you how to spend it (though, that can be my job as the GM at times). However, there are some baseline restrictions and other things that happen when you get resurrected:
- Upon resurrection, you must roll against HT+2 to see if you survive the resurrection. On a failure, the character is permanently dead and may only be resurrected from a Wish (or Great Wish) spell.
- On a successful resurrection, you STILL lose one level of HT! This doesn't detract from your racial maximum and may be bought back as normal.
- Resurrection costs a number of gp equal to your character point total when that character died, with a minimum cost of 50 gp. (Yes, I know, a tenth of you just groaned at using character points as a metric. Whatever. It is my game and my rules.)
Additionally, players cannot actually learn the resurrection spell! They can find scrolls of resurrection or NPCs to resurrect them, but it is a spell they cannot possess. There are also some further clarifications, which I must state:
- A PC who reaches -5×HP via corrosion may never be resurrected; they are turned into goop!
- A PC who is decapitated makes their HT+2 roll at flat HT instead of HT+2.
- Disintegrated PCs, as stated in GURPS Magic, may not be resurrected.
Finally, I want to talk about the reasoning behind this, which is a frankly gamey one. Of course this makes the table-top roleplaying game feel more like a video game, which is somewhat the point: these mechanics were taken mostly from Wizardry I. However, there is a good setting reason I am including them, being that the amount of accumulated experience, power, and skills that a character has acquired makes a more powerful spirit, which is harder to call upon and restore into a body than a "normal" spirit. Yes, that seems lame, but I think that it is a fine justification for this.
Also, it makes death stay scary. It also accentuates one of my favorite parts of TTRPGs (and life, in general): the finality of it. If a character dies, they might be dead forever, no matter what you try to do. Of course, you can always go get a Ring of Wish (I say that like it is easy!) Your character is a person in this world, and in real life, when people die, they (most of the time) stay dead. Make the most of this character before they are gone, then sing their feats in the party until nobody remembers their name!
No comments:
Post a Comment